Just some notes about stuff I see as I wander

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Zanna Do or Don't


Went and saw this production in New Rochelle called Zanna Don't (nb. I just got the joke about Xanadu / Xanadon't).

For someone who hates musical theatre and will only tolerate it for the sake of a friend's or husband's appearance, I have to say I did quite enjoy this one. Great cast, the lead actor playing Zanna (Ross Baum) was very talented and there were only a few cast members whom I would have turkey- slapped had I seen them after the show.

I think we were effectively in the US equivalent of the home counties, lots of proud parents watching their teenagers frolic on stage acting gay. What saved it was the complete reversal of all americana stereotypes - the nerd v. the jock and the fluoro hoodies.

No comments: